Irene Mannari was born in Livorno, Italy in 1981. She received her First Degree in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Pisa in 2004 (thesis argument: Reverse Engineering techniques analysis and 3D scan data processing software). She attended a professional course in Industrial Design, supported by Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna di Pisa, Università degli Studi di Pisa, ISIA Firenze, Piaggio & C. S.p.a. (2005-2006); the course concluded with an internship in Piaggio Style Center, working on a concept motorcycle for Gilera. She is working at The BioRobotics Institute on several national and european projects and her main activity was focused on robots physical appearance with particular attention to the acceptability via an user-centered approach.
- Piaggio & C. S.p.a., Style Center (internship in 2006-2007: concept motorcycle based on Mp3 scooter frame; restyling project for Piaggio Ape Passenger).
- Design Innovation S.r.l. (internship in 2007: evolutionary analysis and concept ideas for Vespa brand).
- Grado Zero Espace S.r.l. (contract work in 2007-2008: sales management and innovative materials research).
My activity in the BioRobotics Institute:
From 2006 she works with The BioRobotics Institute of Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna, and she was involved in the following research projects:
- VECTOR - Versatile Endoscopic Capsule for Gastrointestinal Tumor Recognition and Therapy (Funding Institutions: European Community, Research Program: FP6 Programme). Main activities: valuation of the psychological components and acceptability in order to refine the shape of the endoscopic capsule.
- DustBot - Networked and Cooperating Robots for Urban Hygiene (Funding Institutions: European Community, Research Program: FP6 Programme). Main activities: design of physical appearance of robots from the point of view of acceptability; organisation and integration of robotic systems in real scenarios.
- RIGEPLAST - Rigenerazione mediante processi sostenibili di plastomeri post-uso per applicazioni predeterminate con valore aggiunto (Funding Institutions: Regione Toscana, Research Program: Bando POR-CREO). Main activities: engineering of the bodies of the DustCart robot (designed within the european project DustBot) for their manufacture by injection molding of post-consumer plastic derived from PET.
- ASTROMOBILE - Assistive SmarT RObotic platform for indoor environments: MOBILity and intEraction (ECHORD - the European Clearing House for Open Robotics Development). Main activities: design of physical appearance of robots for elderly people from the point of view of acceptability.
- CareToy - A modular smart system for infants’ rehabilitation at home based on mechatronic Toys (Funding Institutions: European Community, Research Program: FP7 - ICT-2011.5.1). Main activities: design of mechanical feature and physical appearance of sensorised gym for infant rehabilitation from the point of view of parents acceptability.
- EARLYREHAB - Design, development and clinical assessment of therapeutic and prognostic method and technology for the rehabilitation of the upper limb of stroke survivors in acute and sub-acute phases (Funding Institutions: Regione Toscana under the Regional Health Research Programme 2009). Main activities: development of covers of the devices for rehabilitation of the upper limb from the point of view of acceptability.
- Robot-Era - Implementation and integration of advanced Robotic system and intelligent Environments in real scenarios for the ageing population (Funding Institutions: European Community, Research Program: FP7-ICT-2011-7). Main activities: design of physical appearance of robots for elderly people from the point of view of acceptability.
- RODDI - New Robotic Platform for Rehabilitation of Children with Pervasive Developmental Disorders and Cognitive Impairments (Funding Institutions: Ministero della Salute Italiano, Research Program: RICERCA FINALIZZATA Bando Progetti di Ricerca Giovani Ricercatori, 2010). Main activities: design of mechanical features and physical appearance of sensorized devices for rehabilitation of of children with PDD and cognitive impairments.
- Casiddu, N., Cavallo, F., Divano, A., Mannari, I., Micheli, E., Porfirione, C., Zallio, M., Aquilano, M., & Dario, P. (2014). Robot Interface Design of Domestic and Condominium Robot for Ageing Population. In Ambient Assisted Living (pp. 53-60). Springer International Publishing.
- Cavallo, F., Aquilano, M., Bonaccorsi, M., Mannari, I., Carrozza, M.C., Dario, P. (2011, April 08). On the design of ASTRO robot for assistance of elderly people. In euRobotics Forum 2011, Workshop on “Assistance robots for the elderly”, Västeras, Sweden.
- Aquilano, M., Cavallo, F., Mannari, I., Carrozza, M.C., Dario, P. (2011). Acceptability and User Centered Design of ASTRO: the assistant robot of elderly people. In International Conference on Social Robotics, ICSR2011, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- Cavallo, F., Aquilano, M., Bonaccorsi, M., Mannari, I., Carrozza, M. C., & Dario, P. (2011, August). Multidisciplinary approach for developing a new robotic system for domiciliary assistance to elderly people. In Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, EMBC, 2011 Annual International Conference of the IEEE (pp. 5327-5330). IEEE.
- Salvini, P., Armato, A., Mannari, I., Mazzolai, B., Laschi, C., & Dario, P. (2007, October). A Methodology for designing acceptability in relation to a service robot physical appearance. In Proceedings of the 8th international workshop on human-friendly welfare robotic systems. KAIST, Daejeon, Korea, October (pp. 21-23).
- 01/08/2008 - Irene Mannari, Pericle Salvini, Federica Pantaloni, Cecilia Laschi, Barbara Mazzolai, Virgilio Mattoli, Paolo Dario (2008). Progetto DustBot - Networked and Cooperating Robots for Urban Hygiene - aspetto estetico/formale di robot per la raccolta dell'immondizia porta a porta. EP000980966, Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna.
- 23/08/2013 - Filippo Cavallo, Michela Aquilano, Paolo Dario, Irene Mannari, Niccolò Casiddu, Norbert Herda, Emanuele Micheli, Alessandro Divano, Claudia Porfirione, Matteo Zallio (2013). Progetto Robot-Era - aspetto estetico/formale di robot per assistenza domiciliare e di robot con funzione di portierato e sorveglianza. N.002295857-0002, Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna, Università degli Studi di Genova, MetraLabs GmbH Neue Technologien und Systeme Systeme.