Hi everybody, in the next few lines you will find my scientific interests. Feel free to contact me if you need more information.
I received my Master degree in Electrical Engineering with first class honours (110/110 e lode) at the Politecnico di Bari (IT) in the 2003, and my PhD degree in “Biorobotics, Science and Engineering” at the IMT Lucca (IT) in conjunction with the Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna, Pisa (IT) in the 2008, after I spent a 6 months long period as “visiting student” at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (USA). My current position is Assistant Professor at The BioRobotics Institute, Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna, Pisa (IT).
My main scientific interests account for: the modifications of motor control during walking and unperturbed upright stance due to aging and neuro-musculo-skeletal disorders; -the fall biomechanics; the design and the development of robotic platform aimed at delivering neuro-rehabilitative treatments for the recovery of locomotion in post-stroke patients.
I am actively involved in several projects founded by the European Commission (CLONS “CLOsed-loop Neural prostheses for vestibular disorders”, GA 225929; CYBERLEGs “The CYBERnetic LowEr-Limb CoGnitive Ortho-prosthesis”, ICT 287894; I- DONT-FALL “Integrated prevention and Detection sOlutioNs Tailored to the population and Risk Factors associated with FALLs”, GA 297225) where my work is mainly aimed at both identifying biomechanical parameters able to allow an early detection of the incipient fall, and investigating the physiological modifications of the motor control due to an unexpected perturbation.
I am currently co-author of 9 ISI and several International Conference papers. In the last 5 years I have served as reviewer for 6 ISI journals and several International Conferences.
13. M. Coscia, V. C. K. Cheung, P. Tropea, A. Koenig, V. Monaco, C. Bennis, S. Micera, P. Bonato (2014). The effect of arm weight support on upper limb muscle synergies during reaching movements; Journal Of Neuroengineering And Rehabilitation (in press).
12. D. Martelli, F. Artoni, V. Monaco, A. M. Sabatini, S. Micera (2014). Pre-impact fall detection: optimal sensor positioning based on a machine learning paradigm; Plos ONE (in press).
11. C. Chisari, F. Bertolucci, V. Monaco, M. Venturi, C. Simonella, S. Micera, B. Rossi (2014). Robot-assisted gait training improves motor performances and modifies Motor Unit firing in post-stroke patients; European Journal of Physical and Rheabilitation Medicine (in press).
10. P. Tropea, V. Monaco, M. Coscia, F. Posteraro, S. Micera (2013). Effects of early and intensive neuro-rehabilitative treatment on muscle synergies in acute post-stroke patients: a pilot study. Journal Of Neuroengineering And Rehabilitation; 10:101.
9. L. A. Rinaldi, V. Monaco (2013). Spatio-temporal parameters and intralimb coordination patterns describing hemiparetic locomotion at controlled speed
Journal Of Neuroengineering And Rehabilitation; N. 10; (2013)
8. D. Martelli, V. Monaco, L. Bassi Luciani, S. Micera (2013). Angular momentum during unexpected multidirectional perturbations delivered while walking. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng. 2013 Jan 21. N. 60; 1785:1795
7. V. Monaco, G. Galardi, M. Coscia, D. Martelli, S. Micera (2012). Design and Evaluation of NEUROBike: A Neurorehabilitative Platform for Bedridden Post-Stroke Patients. IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng. 2012 Nov;20(6):845-52. doi: 10.1109/TNSRE.2012.2212914. Epub 2012 Aug 31.
6. L. Bassi Luciani, V. Genovese, V. Monaco, L. Odetti, E. Cattin, S. Micera (2012). Design and Evaluation of a new mechatronic platform for assessment and prevention of fall risks.. JOURNAL OF NEUROENGINEERING AND REHABILITATION, ISSN: 1743-0003
5. V. Monaco, S. Micera (2012). Age-related neuromuscular adaptation does not affect the mechanical efficiency of lower limbs during walking. GAIT & POSTURE, ISSN: 0966-6362
4. L. Quagliarella, N. Sasanelli, V. Monaco, G. Belgiovine, A. Spinarelli, A. Notarnicola, L. Moretti, B. Moretti (2011). Relevance of orthostatic posturography for clinical evaluation of hip and knee joint arthroplasty patients. GAIT & POSTURE, vol. 34/1, p. 49-54, ISSN: 0966-6362, doi: 10.1016/j.gaitpost.2011.03.010
3. V. Monaco, A. Ghionzoli, S. Micera (2010). Age-related modifications of muscle synergies and spinal cord activity during locomotion. JOURNAL OF NEUROPHYSIOLOGY, vol. 104/4, p. 2092-2102, ISSN: 0022-3077, doi: 10.1152/jn.00525.2009
2. V. Monaco, L. A. Rinaldi, G. Macrì, S. Micera (2009). During walking elders increase efforts at proximal joints and keep low kinetics at the ankle. CLINICAL BIOMECHANICS, vol. 24/6, p. 493-498, ISSN: 0268-0033, doi: 10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2009.04.004
1. L. Quagliarella, N. Sasanelli, V. Monaco (2008). Drift in posturography Systems Equipped with Piezoelectric Force Platform: Analysis and Numerical Compensation. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON INSTRUMENTATION AND MEASUREMENT, vol. 57/5, p. 997-1004, ISSN: 0018-9456, doi: 10.1109/TIM.2007.913833