I like to think out of the box and find new solutions.
Senior R&D Mechanical Design Engineer at MEDRA S.r.l - Micro Instruments - (Calci, Pisa, IT). Responsible for design, fabrication of pre-commercial prototypes and validation test of wristed Micro Instruments for robotic microsurgical procedures. (Since July 2012).
Coordinator of the Biomedical Commission at Professional Associations of Engineer (Livorno, IT). I manage the team work activities mainly in the field of evaluation of new projects and technology products adopted in healthcare, on a basis of technical knowledge and European regulation. I also represent the commission during meeting with hospitals, medical doctors and biomedical industries. (Since October 2014).
Tutor at SAMBA - Sant'Anna Milky Business Angels - (Pisa, IT). Together with expert business men, we guided high-tech innovative startup companies to boost their business and reach venture capitalists, by developing appropriate business models, strategies, processes and outlooks. (March - October 2014).
R&D Engineer at STORM Lab - Science and Technology Of Robotics in Medicine (Nashville, TN, USA). - Development and optimization of a steerable magnetic camera for two port laparoscopic surgery. Bench test validation and operative room trials on human cadavers. (2011-2012)
Research Assistant at The BioRobotics Institute (Pontedera, Pisa, IT). Studies on magnetic mechanisms for wireless actuation of endoscopic robotic micro-devices. Technical design, fabrication and in-vivo test of a steerable vision systems for minimally invasive surgery and of GI tract endoscopic capsules equipped with locomotion system and biopsy sampling mechanism. (2009-2012)
PhD in Innovative Technologies of Information & Communication, Engineering, and Robotics, area Bio-Robotics. Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna. December 2012. PhD Thesis: Magnetic Mechanisms for Endoscopic Devices. Advisors: Prof. A. Menciassi, Prof. P. Valdastri.
Master Degree in Biomedical Enginering . April 2009. Thesis: Hybrid locomotion system for capsule endoscopy Advisors: Prof. A. Menciassi, Prof. P. Valdastri.
Bachelor Degree in Biomedical Engineering. October 2006. Thesis: Mechanical characterization and mathematical model analysis of PVA hydrogels for application in cartilage regeneration. Advisors: Prof. L. Lazzeri, Prof. P. Villaggio
Best Bioengineering PhD thesis award, ISIB-IEIIT CNR and Italian National Bioengineering Group, Bressanone (Italy), 2013.
Top 10 Abstract 2013, R. Pickens, M. Simi, A. Menciassi, D. Herrel, P. Valdastri “Fine tilt tuning of a laparoscopic camera by local magnetic actuation: Two-Port Nephrectomy Experience on Human Cadavers” Engineering and Urology Society. San Diego (CA).
Best presenter award, M. Simi, G. Gerboni, A. Menciassi, P. Valdastri “Magnetic Mechanism for Wireless Capsule Biopsy” Design of Medical Devices (DMD) Conference 2012, Minneapolis (MN).
Best paper award, T. Ranzani, C. Di Natali, M. Simi, A. Menciassi, P. Dario, P. Valdastri, “A novel surgical robotic platform minimizing access trauma”, Hamlyn Symposium on Medical Robotics 2011, London (UK).
Best poster award (Bronze), Korean Institute of Science and Technology (KIST), WSK-TNg “Human-Robot interaction” Summer School 2010, Seoul (Korea)
Best presentation award, University of Tokyo, Global Center of Excellence for Mechanical System Innovation (GMSI) Summer Camp 2009, Tokyo (Japan).
Best Bioengineering Master thesis award, Italian National Bioengineering Group, Bressanone (Italy), 2009.
INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL ARTICLES
- M. Simi, G. Gerboni, A. Menciassi, P. Valdastri, “Magnetic Torsion Spring Mechanism for a Wireless Biopsy Capsule”, ASME Journal of Medical Devices, 2013, Vol.7, 041009, doi:10.1115/1.4025185
- M. Simi, R. Pickens, A. Menciassi, D. Herrel, P. Valdastri “Fine tilt tuning of a laparoscopic camera by local magnetic actuation: Two-Port Nephrectomy Experience on Human Cadavers” Surgical Innovation, 2013, Vol. 20, N. 4, pp. 385-394.
- M. Simi, M. Silvestri, C. Cavallotti, M.Vatteroni, P. Valdastri, A. Menciassi, P. Dario, “Magnetically Activated Stereoscopic Vision System for Laparoendoscopic Single Site Surgery”, IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, 2013, Vol. 18, N. 3, pp. 1140-1151.
- P. Valdastri, M. Simi, R. J. Webster III, “Advanced Technologies for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy”, Annual Review of Biomedical Engineering, 2012, Vol. 14, pp. 397-429.
- M, Simi, N. Tolou, P. Valdastri, J.L. Herder, A. Menciassi, and P. Dario, “Modeling of a compliant joint in a Magnetic Levitation System for an endoscopic camera”, Mechanical Sciences, 3, 5-14, doi:10.5194/ms-3-5-2012, 2012.
- M. Silvestri, M. Simi, C. Cavallotti, M. Vatteroni, V. Ferrari, C. Freschi, P. Valdastri, A. Menciassi, P. Dario, “Comparative study on surgical performance between two- and three-dimensional vision systems and interfaces”, Surgical Innovation, 2011, Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 223-230.
- J. L. Toennies, G. Tortora, M. Simi, P. Valdastri, and R. J. Webster III. “Swallowable Medical Devices for Diagnosis and Surgery: The State of the Art.” Proc. IMechE, Part C: Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science, 224(C7), 1397-1414, 2010.
- M. Simi, P. Valdastri, C. Quaglia, A. Menciassi, P. Dario “Design, Fabrication and Testing of a Capsule with Hybrid Locomotion for Gastrointestinal Tract Exploration” IEEE/ASME Transaction on Mechatronics, April 2010, Vol. 15, pp. 170-180, doi: 10.1109/TMECH.2010.2041244.
- M. Simi, G. Ciuti, S. Tognarelli, P. Valdastri, A. Menciassi, P. Dario: Magnetic link design for a robotic laparoscopic camera. Journal Of Applied Physics 2010, Vol. 107, doi: 10.1063/1.3352581.
SELECTED PAPERS ON REFEREED CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS
- C. Di Natali, T. Ranzani, M. Simi, A. Menciassi, P. Valdastri “Trans-abdominal Active Magnetic Linkage for Robotic Surgery: Concept Definition and Model Assessment”, in Proc. of IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA) 2012, St Paul, MN, USA, May 2012, pp. 695-700.
- *M. Simi, G. Gerboni, A. Menciassi, P. Valdastri, “Magnetic Mechanism for Wireless Capsule Biopsy”, in Proc. of ASME Design of Medical Devices Conference, April 10-12, 2012, Minneapolis, MN, ASME Journal of Medical Devices, Vol. 6, p. 017611-1.
- *M. Simi, P. Valdastri, N. Di Lorenzo, G. Basili, A. Menciassi, P. Dario, “Preliminary in-vivo tests with a magnetic levitation camera robot for laparoscopic surgery”, in Proc. of Hamlyn Symposium on Medical Robotics 2011, London, June 2011, pp 25-26.
- T. Ranzani, C. Di Natali, M. Simi, A. Menciassi, P. Dario, P. Valdastri, “A novel surgical robotic platform minimizing access trauma”, in Proc. of Hamlyn Symposium on Medical Robotics 2011, London, June 2011, pp 15-16.
- *M. Simi, N. Tolou, P. Valdastri,J. Herder, A. Menciassi, P. Dario, “Modelling of a Compliant Joint in a Magnetic Levitation System for an Endoscopic Camera”, in Proc. of Second International Symposium on Compliant Mechanisms (CoMe) 2011, Delft.
- *M. Simi, G. Sardi, P. Valdastri, A. Menciassi, P. Dario, “Magnetic Levitation Camera Robot for Endoscopic Surgery”, in Proc. of IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA) 2011, Shanghai, China, May 2011, pp. 5279-5284.
- *M. Simi, M. Silvestri, C. Cavallotti, M. Vatteroni, P. Valdastri, A. Menciassi, P. Dario, “Development of a Magnetic-activated Stereoscopic Camera for Single Port Laparoscopy” Minimally Invasive Therapy & Allied Technologies (MITAT), Vol.19, Supl.1, ISSN 1364-5706, pp. 25, Aug. 2010. (doi:10.3109/13645706.2010.500867) for the 22nd Conference of Society for medical Innovation and Technology (SMIT) 2010, Trondheim.
* Indicates oral presentation by M. Simi
- M. Simi, P. Valdastri, A. Menciassi, P. Dario, “Capsula endoscopica per il prelievo di campioni Bioptici Gastrointestinali”, Italian Patent FI2011A000141, filed on 15/07/2011.
- P. Valdastri, M. Simi, C. Di Natali, T. Ranzani, A. Menciassi, P. Dario, “Piattaforma robotica per chirurgia mini invasiva”, Italian Patent FI2011A000114, filed on 31/05/2011.
- M. Simi, P. Valdastri, A. Menciassi, P. Dario, “Magnetic levitation endoscopic device”, International Patent WO2012/035157, priority date 16/09/2010.
- A. Menciassi, P. Dario, P. Valdastri, C. Quaglia, E. Buselli, M. Simi, “Hybrid active locomotion teleoperated endoscopic capsule”, International Patent WO2010044053, priority date 13/10/2008.